Thursday, October 8, 2009

Why Shouldn't I Pray for Glenn Beck?

In a recent blog on the Washington Post website, David Waters suggested that Glenn Beck might be the "most prayed for man in America at the moment." It seems that Glenn recently asked his followers to pray for him because of the "big money" that is trying to silence him. His request for prayers was countered by Jim Wallis over at Sojourners Magazine. Jim said, basically, that praying for Glenn might not be such a bad idea. He said, "...let's take Glenn at his word and pray for him to have wisdom as he speaks out on these issues. Tell Glenn you're praying for him - that he'll choose hope over fear."

After an assignment for my public theology class to "listen to Rush and Glenn" and respond, I would tend to agree with Mr. Wallis. He needs all the prayers he can get! I was not prepared to read, however, the onslaught of hate-filled responses to the suggestion.

The comments left for Mr. Waters were filled with hate and anger from every side. There are those who wrote to condemn Mr. Beck. Others scoffed at Mr. Wallis. Some spewed hate at organized religion in general and Christianity in particular. Very few seemed to agree that praying for Glenn Beck is a good idea at all.

Why shouldn't I pray for Glen Beck? Why wouldn't every "progressive" Christian do so? Why wouldn't all Christians pray for him... and for Mr. Wallis... and for President Obama... and for Osama bin Laden for that matter.

Jesus taught: "You have heard it said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may all be children of your Father in heaven..." (Matt. 5:43-45)

Whether we agree with Mr. Beck or not, my faith teaches me that he, too, is a child of God. I may hate what he says, but my Lord tells me to love him and pray for him as a child of God. Perhaps we need to ask for prayers ourselves, that we might be able to follow the teachings of the One by whose name we are called.

I'll pray for you, if you'll do the same for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. (Even if you disagree!) The moderator will review comments before they are posted, however, and those which contain inappropriate language or simply attack the writer without substance will be deleted.