Sunday, January 5, 2014

What the Wise Ones Seek

In my stack of Christmas cards, there are some very lovely pictures... There are lots of angels, several nativity scenes, mother and child... There are cards with pictures of St. Nicholas and Santa, Frosty and other snowpeople... There's one of fox in the snow that I particularly like.  There's even one of the Grand Canyon from our attorney (who happens to be Jewish, but always sends "Happy Holiday" cards) and a card with the president of a seminary and his wife featured on the cover.

There are very few, however, depicting the 3 Kings or Wisemen.  This drew my notice as I was preparing a Children's Message for this morning, the Second Sunday of Christmas or Epiphany Sunday.  I was looking for images of the kings, and found only two. I wanted to talk with them about what or who the wise men were seeking, what or who WE are still searching for, why the kings brought gifts (and what they were) and lastly, what gifts we bring to the manger and the altar of God.

The wise men weren't exactly sure what they were going to find when they arrived at where the star was leading.  They were expecting a king.  Surely they were not expecting to find him in a manger!  Their gifts reflected their expectations: gold, frankincense and myrrh.  Had they known that Jesus was lying in a manger, they might have brought clean linens, soft bedding, sweet cream for Mary's breakfast.  Or would they, perhaps, have thought this child unworthy of their notice?  Would they have ignored the celestial light that beaconed them to follow?

What is it that draws our attention and affection to the Christ-Child?  There were many others who did not find the expected king in the manger.  Their image of what and who the Messiah would be was too far different from the reality of this Infant King.  Surely there are many today who ignore the signs all around them, and who chose to turn their backs on the manger, on the child, on the Christ who comes to save.

"Come and worship!  Come and worship!  Worship Christ the new-born King!"

What gifts will we bring to the manger... to the altar of God?

While we may not have fine oils and perfumes... while our "gold" takes the form of paltry coins or crinkled dollar bills, there is a gift far greater, far more precious, far more difficult for us to part with.

"What can I give him, poor as I am?  If I were a shepherd, I would give a lamb. If I were a wiseman, I would do my part. But, what I CAN, I give him:  give my heart."

Our hearts, our lives, our devotion to the way of Jesus Christ.... These are the gifts that we bring if we are wise enough to seek the True Light for our lives.

May we seek and find this Light and Love, and may we share it with all the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. (Even if you disagree!) The moderator will review comments before they are posted, however, and those which contain inappropriate language or simply attack the writer without substance will be deleted.