Saturday, September 26, 2009

Envisioning a Clear and Just Choice

The weekly question posted to a panel of religious leaders at The Washington Post's online edition asks: Should religious charities that receive federal grant money be allowed to discriminate in hiring practices?

As a Christian, the question for me is not whether a religious charity that receives federal monies should be allowed to discriminate as much as it is why a religious charity would do so in the first place. It just isn’t right! But, that may be my “UCC bias” showing. I suspect that it’s not quite so simple an answer. In some cases, there may be reasons for hiring bias that have some validity. I may not like it, but that may be the case.

I also suspect that this may be a case where I am “Pro-Choice”. While I could not make the choice to discriminate for myself, I am not sure I would want the Federal Government telling my Christian congregation to hire someone who, for example, practiced a pagan religion, whether we received Federal grant monies or not. There is not a clear-cut answer for me.

What is totally clear, however, is that a religious charity receiving federal grant monies should never be allowed to use any of that funding to pay salaries or operating expenses if they choose to practice discriminatory hiring procedures. Furthermore, those funds should be used strictly for programs that do not discriminate against those who benefit from them.

Poverty does not discriminate against race or gender, sexual orientation or mental capacity. Disease and disaster strike regardless of physical limitations or educational levels reached. Religious charities receiving Federal grants should never be allowed to turn their backs on or close their doors to a person based on that person’s personal beliefs. It just isn’t right.

“Anyone who knows, then, the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” (James 4:17, NIV)
A greater judge than I will have the final word.

1 comment:

  1. Kathi, I like your style - though I took a different position on this article. Best wishes to you in Indiana. See you in Etherspace. Mike

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. (Even if you disagree!) The moderator will review comments before they are posted, however, and those which contain inappropriate language or simply attack the writer without substance will be deleted.