Sunday, November 8, 2009

Confronting the Religious Racism Within

The shooting incident this past week at Ft. Hood, Texas, has reawakened an awareness of what I must call "religious racism" in America. The reaction-- very human reaction-- of many to learning that the suspect is a Muslim, reinforces a fear that has been present since 9-11.

My heart has been so heavy since learning of the shooting incident at Ft. Hood, TX. I am going to conceded that I am still working out how to address the issue of religion, but one thing I knew going into the pulpit this past Sunday was that it must be addressed. In fact, God was almost screaming at me to do so.

So, here are a few thoughts that I included in today's message.

First of all, I have heard and read a number of troubling comments since this happened- comments that have linked all people of the Muslim faith into one big pile of muck. This is not a new development. Ever since 9-11, anyone who looks like they might be a Muslim has been distrusted, maligned and sometimes abused-- because we have decided, I guess, that all terrorists look alike, and that all Muslims are terrorists.

This simply isn't true. It's no more true than the fact that Timothy McVeigh was a terrorist makes all Catholics terrorists.

When we do this-- when we categorize any group of people as if we can know exactly who they are or what they are like based on what others with the same skin color or ethnic background or religious beliefs have done, we tread into dangerous territory.

If this were a valid way of looking at people, I wouldn't trust many of my congregants-- most of whom were born and raised in rural Indiana. That's because I have learned that, following WWI, rural Indiana was a center for a pretty strong segment of the Ku Klux Klan.

If this were a valid way of judging people, then my congregation shouldn't trust ME. Have you ever heard the word, "welch"? It means to cheat someone out of a gambling debt. In Southern Ohio, where my parents were born and raised, the word means to cheat anyone. If you back out of a debt or a deal, you are a "welcher". The word originates from a slang word for someone of Welsh ancestry. I am more than half Welsh. So, even if you trust me, perhaps you shouldn't gamble with me!

And most of us have heard enough of the scandals that rocked the catholic Church to know you can't trust a male pastor, right? Hopefully there is enough trust between us to know this is ridiculous.

There seems to be news coming out that religion did indeed play a role in the shootings, but perhaps not in the way that we would think. CNN is reporting that the suspect had been frustrated for a long time by how others-- both civilians and military personnel had treated him with disrespect, which he perceived as being because he is a Muslim. In mid-August, he found that his car had a religious bumper sticker that said "Allah is love" ripped from it and the car was "keyed"- scratching the paint. Imagine for a moment if a bumper sticker saying "Jesus Loves Me" was ripped from your car and it was keyed.

It's not an excuse to go ballistic, at least not in my mind. But then I don't know what it is like to be constantly watched, mistrusted, ridiculed or abused for being a Christian. I do not condone what this troubled man did. As a pastor, and as a person of faith, I cannot condone racism either.

My faith tells me that God IS love, and that Jesus loves, not just me, but all people. The God who knit me in my mother's womb, also knit those of different faiths and those of no faith whatsoever. Surely Jesus' Great Commandment did not include hating my neighbor, nor will we ever lead someone to know Christ through violence, prejudice or hatred.

I would like to say that I do not have a racist or prejudiced bone in my body... but the truth is I am human. It is within me to fear what is different. It is within me to judge negatively those whose beliefs are not my beliefs. I am challenged every day to face that truth inside myself.
Only then I can stand before God and ask for both forgiveness and the courage to grow in understanding as God would have me do.

Maybe then I can see Christ in the face of my brothers and sisters... including those whom I perceive to be my enemy.

Jesus had something to say about that, too. "You have heard it said to love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I tell you to love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you... and if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what are you doing that is any more than the others? Do not even pagans do that? be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:43-44, 47-48)

Perfect? I am not there yet, but O, God, I want to be.

1 comment:

  1. This is very powerful. I love the idea that knowing the shooter is Muslim is not the same as knowing his motive. And also the lens of what it must be like to live under constant scrutiny and suspicion - enough has not been said about this in our culture. what are we doing to ourselves and eachother with this pernicious mindset! Again, very powerful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. (Even if you disagree!) The moderator will review comments before they are posted, however, and those which contain inappropriate language or simply attack the writer without substance will be deleted.